Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A Book Exhibition

Share a slice at Two Writing Teachers.


How can you choose just three favorite books when you like so many?

Any reader would understand the question and worry my nine-year-old was facing with this school assignment.
To take more was not a solution, because with twenty-four kids in class, the number of books was big already.
My daughter decided to take the best three she had read lately, having one from her favorite author, one that she got as a present, and one non-fiction.
Unfortunately, Friday was the kind of a day, where a schedule got mixed up and the book sharing didn't happen.
Any parent of a reader can understand the disappointment that my nine-year-old carried home.

Solution: We decided to host our home Book Exhibition.

Everyone collected their favorites.
This was the best part of the process. The older girls got carried back to their childhood. They chose a mixture of the past and the present. Mimm discovered some books that she hadn't read yet. I felt joy to see my reading family and glimpse of our reading lives.
We decided to that we could choose only one from our favorite authors and series. (Except Mimm who chose three books from her favorite Estonian author)
The older sisters discovered that they had given out some of their favorites to their cousin and friends, some of the books they had read online and some of the books they had borrowed from the library. After starting to set the books on the tables, we realized that we had more books than display space, so my husband and I just returned our books to the shelves.
Mimm spent time arranging and rearranging the books until she felt happy.

Here is the small "Favorite Books" Exhibition we set up on Friday evening. If Mimm could have she would have probably invited the whole class and neighborhood. We decided that the display will be up for at least a week so Mimm's friends can come and visit.

You are welcome to see our exhibition in pics.





Mimm's favorite books


14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a fun Slice! I want to come to your next one! What a great thing to do as a family. I can't wait to do this kind of stuff with my girls when they're older!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good mom! What a fun glimpse into the reading life of your daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is FUN! I'm glad you shared pictures, although I wish I could see it in person.
    Happy reading,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a joyous time for all of you, but especially Mimm. I love seeing familiar covers, Terje & it's great that your older daughters took a reading trip back in time too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A home book exhibition?!?! I LOVE it!!! You are so creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A family that stages a book exhibition is an awesome family - lucky for all of you to take part in this, Terje - perhaps a new family tradition is born?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful. At the start of the Slice I was worried that you would be asking for my 3 favorite books and that would be so hard. Glad you had a very cool approach to this subject.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. so true! I would find that task IMPOSSIBLE and so I LOVE your solution!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! I loved seeing Pipi Pikksukk on the table! I might have had a a book with that cover as well! I am thinking that this would be a fun idea for a party as well. Perhaps for our small group??? Thanks for a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! How smart you are turning lemons into lemonade. A wonderful unexpected celebration. Thanks for sharing this great idea! I have never done with my students... I'd have to wait for vacation to do it with the family:(

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! This would be fun for teachers to share their favorites with each other, too! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun! And what a wonderful way to turn a disappointment around into something positive that we can learn from too! I can easily see this done in so many venues! Thanks for sharing the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. TOOOOOO FUN! I kind of want to come and be your daughter (since you didn't birth me, age doesn't REALLY matter, right?) for a weekend! Seriously - every moment you write of just makes me fill with the idea of living a real life. I just love it. And, it brought me joy to see so many familiar favorites that would go on my list as well (if I could have a list greater than three, that is) -- I continue to marvel at how much fun you and I would have if we could meet up at a coffee shop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful thing to do with your family! Memories.

    ReplyDelete