Last Thursday:
"70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 110, 115, 117,118, 119, 120, 121. Mom, I have 121 euros. That is a lot of money," Mimm (9) looks at me with big eyes and a broad smile. A little bunny purse sits empty on the living room floor in front of Mimm, while Mimm waves the paper bills in one hand and holds coins tightly in the other.
Depends on what you need it for is my first thought, but realizing this is a lot of money for her, I nod in agreement.
"So now we can go bowling. All of us. This weekend," Mimm announces. For three years Mimm has been collecting money she has received from relatives as a birthday gift. This is how she has decided to use it. No Monster High Dolls, or shiny new clothes, or sweets or CD-s. No, she wishes to spend her birthday money on bowling with the family.
Only for a split second I wish to talk her out of it. I want to say that she could use this money without guilt on things that we wouldn't buy, that we would pay for the bowling. But it's only for a split second that I think that. Her choice is wonderful and I allow her to spend her money on what she values.
"This is an excellent idea," I smile.
"Can everyone come?"Mimm asks me.
"I can, dad can, but I don't know about others," I reply.
"I'll find out," she stuffs the money back in the purse, jumps up and runs to her older sister's room.
She returns with a yes. This is followed with a phone call to her oldest sister, and then to her aunt and cousin.
"Great! This weekend we will go bowling," she beams with excitement.
Last Saturday
Kids (9, 12, 17, 19) on one lane and adults (35, 41, 44) on the lane next to them cheered to each other no matter the technique or result. We tried to remember when was the last time we went bowling as a family. Probably more than a year ago. The scores were not important. We were not competing. We were having fun. What an amazing gift!


This is such a sweet story! Sometimes it is children who know what is most important in life. It looks like you are doing something right! <3
ReplyDeleteAren't you lucky to be raising such a sweet little sould.
ReplyDeleteBernadette
What a sweet story! It is amazing the lessons they are learning when we don't even realize it.
ReplyDeleteI love that you let her wish come true. The outing and the experience were all the sweeter because you honored her wish, Terje, and her generous spirit.
ReplyDeleteYou are a wise mom, Terje. You just gave Mim such a gift, that her idea worked, she saved for a goal and achieved it. How kind and thoughtful she is, and we can certainly see what she values, her family. Lovely!
ReplyDeleteThings are so unimportant and your daughter has learned that lesson. What is important is spending time with family and enjoying the fun. She is a very smart young lady (just like her Mom).
ReplyDeleteYou have raised an amazing daughter! Family is important to her just like it is to you! Maybe I should go bowling on my birthday as well! If we go, Mimm will get all the credit!
ReplyDeleteSo very sweet! The memories will be lasting...
ReplyDeleteTime together is priceless! What a special child this one is! She is so thoughtful as to what is important in life.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful!
ReplyDeleteMimm is precious to think of family as her gift. I love how you interweaved your thinking into the piece. Superb!
ReplyDeleteThis says a lot about your daughter and what she values...and I am sure I know where or who those values come from.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great daughter you have! The memories will run deep. Did you take lots of pics?
ReplyDeleteToo sweet! I know I would have let it slip out and tried to talk my daughter out of spending the money on the family, but you realized in the moment how important it was to her. I guess you can surprise her will little gifts to make up the difference! :) Or not ...
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful girl you have there. Her choice of family over things says so much about her and her "tribe." So glad you blogged about this. It's a perfect snapshot of Mimm and your family.
ReplyDeleteWow! You have a special one in Mimm! To want to spend her own money to create memories with her family, is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteWow you have an amazing little girl!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE what she decided to do with her birthday money. This is beautiful. You're raising such a wonderful child!
ReplyDeleteI was wondering... may I use this post as one of my 31 inspirations for Slicers during the March Challenge SOLSC? (I'm linking to a different slice of life story daily during the month of March.) If that's okay, please me at stacey {at} staceyshubitz {dot} com? THANKS!
What a wise and sweet nine year old! She already knows what's important in life! AND I love that you honored that in her. I LOVE this story! Thank you for sharing and Happy Birthday Mimm!!
ReplyDeleteOh my! This is a story for the memory books. but even more as a lesson for both children and parents on how to value the truly important things in life. It is clear that you do. Just lovely!
ReplyDeleteI love Mimm stories! I especially love that you included a pic of the bunny purse. Mimm knows what is most valuable in life. You are a wise momma to allow her to act on that knowledge instead of jumping in with more practical advice. I love bowling, but it was the time spent together that was priceless!
ReplyDelete