Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

my paradise

Few words and pics to capture my summer life. Not a slice but a glimpse of what is on the rich menu.

The house:

An old fisherman house and my uncle live a quiet life most of the year. My mom sometimes visits them, brings food, cleans and washes, chats and listens. When spring arrives, my sister joins them often, digging and planting in the garden. As soon as school is out, my mom, my sister, my nephew, my daughters, and I escape the city and bring different kind of energy and lots of noise to the lives of the small house and my uncle. They don't seem to mind. Few times during the summer our husbands arrive and then we have 12 people who stay for a night. But the best part is when we celebrate the summer birthdays and all the aunts and cousins and their children come, that's when it really gets crowded.
The house remembers the times when my grandma and grandpa lived there with their four children. Then the children grew, moved out, except for my uncle, and the rhythm of the life changed. Quiet nine months with a small family and loud summers with grandchildren. I don't remember my grandfather, and my grandmother passed away when I was 13, but many things are still the same as in my childhood.

The second house:
Two years ago my mom decided that she was not able to live in the old house with all the children, and the noise and the mess they bring. She liked quiet and clean, but it was impossible to find during the summer. My mom decided to buy a room of her own. The tiny cottage (no heating, no electricity) was assembled in two days. It's only a few steps away from the main house, but gives a perfect escape for my mom. My sister and I remembered that in the past the old house used to have wide wooden stairs, so we asked our mom to build something like that for her house. She ordered a wide wooden porch without borders.

The wilderness:

Like any good household in the country side, we have a green house with tomatoes and cucumbers to water, a herb and strawberry patch to tend, many flower beds to weed, and grass to mow. Unlike many other households, we have kept areas where we let the grass grow wild. The garden appreciates it, and in return shows us amazing beauty and gives plenty of wild strawberries and blueberries to eat. It's a bliss to go around, fill my hand with red and blue gems, let them roll into my mouth and eat them. The feeling and taste are priceless.


The sea:
Toes in the sand and sea salt on my skin, I know that my life is wonderful.

16 comments:

  1. Yes, indeed it is wonderful, Terje. Thanks for sharing it with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terje, your uncle's house looks very similar to my mother's house when she was a child. You painted such a great picture with your words that I feel like I can hear the children's voices around the house. Happy relaxing for you! And plenty of wild berries:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent so much time in the country with family, Terje! This makes me a little homesick. A special place building memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your mom's room of her own! Brilliant!

    Your views are gorgeous - thank you for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your summer home and surroundings with us. It look like a peaceful and happy place to spend your summer. Enjoy every moment of your summer break with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terje, Thank you for your story. I felt like I was in the house with all the noise. And then I moved out to quiet and saw your mother. What a special summer.
    Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful summer place. I don't think I could last there much longer, it looks lovely in the sunshine :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved clicking on the picture of the meadow and seeing the butterflies. My question - what about the trees near your mother's house? Is there a net placed over the tree to protect the fruit or is it a tree that I don't recognize? How delightful to have a summer place where you can escape the city and spend treasured time with family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nets are fishing nets, after they have been cleaned and collected. Now they are ready to be taken to the sea.

      Delete
  10. What a perfect way to spend the summers! At every turn there is something to delight one or more of the senses. Mmmmm, I am wishing I could taste those wild berries you are popping into your mouth. Simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your description of your country life sounds heavenly. Your writing made me feel like I was there. I can't help, but feel a bit envious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, "the house remembers." And you all do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of course in your story the house, too, is a thinking, feeling character. I love it! I feel connected to that space through your images (built with words and photos). I am so happy to see that you enjoy this pace of life sometimes to balance out those months of dedication to your work at school.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this is perfect. Wish I could join in the peace and quiet AND the loud and busy family. This reminds me of Cynthia Rylant's books (like "When I Was Young in the Mountains" and "When the Relatives Came") - a perfect picture book!

    I hope you enjoy and relish the time spent there. I know you are thinking, planning, writing, even if it's in your head. I hope you won't miss too many Tuesdays, but I can understand.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your mom was smart! I love that she is just steps away but still in retreat. something to think about for sure.

    ReplyDelete