Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

meeting the standards

Today's slice is inspired by the picture I took in April. 

They didn’t deserve the umbrellas. The umbrellas were perfect, meeting the highest standards. They didn’t.
He really had believed that it didn’t matter.  He loved his students. They had learned, grown, taken risks, made mistakes, tried again, reflected, and celebrated. He had nudged them to open their hearts, dream, create, support each other, and believe in oneself.
Then came the words. “They don’t meet the standards.”
These words whizzed like rocks through the air. They hit hard. His world shattered. Had he really lived in an illusion? What was or wasn’t true?
They didn’t meet the standards.
The poet could make the words dance on a paper but he wasn’t able to put a name on all the figurative language techniques.
The historian flooded the room with facts but he couldn’t write three paragraph essays.
The vet saved frogs, worms, bugs and other creatures but had not memorized his multiplication facts.
The artist painted pretty patterns but wasn’t able to calculate the area of his canvas.
The singer healed hearts with her voice but struggled stringing letters together to make meaning on paper.
Had he failed his students?
They didn’t deserve the umbrellas. The umbrellas were perfect, meeting the highest standards. They didn’t.
He hung up their umbrellas.
Everything was grey and heavy. The rain. His raincoat. His heart.
What was he supposed to do?
In frustration and desperation he grabbed the artist’s brush and threw it against the wall. For a moment the colors returned. He felt alive. There was hope.
The brush froze as a warning.
His tears mixed with the rain.

13 comments:

  1. Beautifully done, thought also Incredibly sad poem, Terje. I love the analogies, the strong verbs you used to make the point. "The artist painted pretty patterns but wasn’t able to calculate the area of his canvas." The perfection of the umbrella line is so worrisome to me since I value the individual so much. I wonder if that is what struck you, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of sameness - umbrellas all in a row - reminds me of how testing implies that conformity is progress. Thank you for reminding us, with vivid language, that difference has beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terje, You captured the frustration of testing SO well. All of our students have enormous talents, but most can't be assessed and counted. Thank you for this slice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "These words whizzed like rocks through the air. " What a great image you created! I loved this, keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a realistic view about meeting the standards! Sad, really when you think about it. I believe that there are times when we can't avoid mixing tears with the rain when thinking about the standards and our students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be inspired by the photo and tie it to testing - wonderful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terje,
    It's upsetting to think that conforming to standards could imply disregard for individual differences-u is for unique
    Unlike these umbrellas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a feeling this slice came from the roots of the reason why you said something about needing to take more time to heal emotionally before reflecting on this past school year (in your comment on Linda's post I think).

    However, this piece of writing is a reflection of sorts, isn't it? I love the words you used to capture how every child has strengths, but those are not always the strengths that are measured. Terje, this is such an effective piece of writing. I am in awe of what you do with your words.

    And I want you to be in charge of education for the world because you GET IT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Using your creative talent to capture an image and then weave into words a feeling of frustration so universally shared is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful reflection on the strengths that aren't measured on a test.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. What an amazing way to express what so many of us feel. Beautiful language for a disturbing trend.. conformity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have put such powerful words to the thoughts and regrets of so many. Such small minds to think that meeting the standards is what really counts. Thank you for using this metaphor to share your heartbreaking concerns for our children.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a lover of metaphor as you know. So, so much to think about in your words - every one of them precious. Thank you for your carefulness and precision. Thank you for the photo, thank you for the yellow umbrella. I'm using mine to balance on a tight rope.

    ReplyDelete