"Now we are going to play a hugging game," said Mimm (7) with a radiant smile.
"Ok. Come over, lets hug," I agreed gladly from the deep embrace of a couch.
"No, no. We are going to play a game. You will sit in the end of the long hallway, I will run to you as fast as I can, and then we'll hug," she explained and started bouncing with anticipation and excitement.
I didn't have even a fraction of her energy. The tiredness had conquered my body. All I wanted to do was basking in the sunshine and lying lazily like a snake on a rock.
"Can dad play with you?" I asked without thinking. As soon as the words were out I regretted them.
A cloud of disappointment covered the spark in Mimm's eyes. The joy defeated form her, the bouncing stopped.
It was true that I had had four days of intensive workshops behind me. It was true that I hadn't had much sleep the night before. It was true that I had no wish to move myself. It was also true that Mimm hadn't seen me for the last four days.
The truth had just crushed Mimm's enthusiasm.
"Sorry. Of course we will play," I tired to rescue the situation.
It took a flicker of a second and my sunshine girl returned.
She stretched her arms and wrapped her warm fingers around my hands and pulled gently to help me off the couch.
There are days when I don't know how my daughter does it, works full-time & then goes home to two young daughters. I hear your needs & Mimm's so clearly. She wouldn't want to play if you hadn't played before. What a sweet post about her & her infectious enthusiasm for the hugging game, probably invented precisely for her mother. It sounds as if it was just right: she does the running, you do the hugging! Thanks, Terje!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your virtual hug today! It made me smile. :)
ReplyDeleteYour story is my story. Some days, I'm so tired, overwhelmed, but the girls are the reminder of what is truly important. And a little game of hugging shouldn't hurt, but I get it. I'm so glad that you joined in her fun.
There are so many lines that I just love in this story:
-the deep embrace of a couch
-tiredness had conquered my body
-a cloud of disappointment cover the spark
-it took a flicker of a second and my sunshine girl returned
But this line: "As soon as the words were out I regretted them." That is so powerful and a great reminder especially when talking with our children. The things they will remember!
There are so many times that we have to dig deep, like you did, to find the energy. You did it and it sounds like it was worth it. So glad you didn't turn her over to her dad. Now you have this wonderful hugging game memory that was shared by just the two of you.
ReplyDeleteYour words brought me to the point of exhaustion you were feeling and the liveliness of Mimm. Michelle covered all the lines that spoke so clearly. Those arms wrapped around you to take the exhaustion away.
ReplyDeleteHow difficult it must be to spread yourself in all directions. I really don't know how you, Michelle and other young mothers can do all that you do. I do remember working and trying to make time for kids, but I think it's even more hectic in this day and age. These moments are way too precious to pass up. Enjoy your daughter and all her hugs!!!
ReplyDeleteGood for Mimm...she knew what her mom needed! And good for mom, who put her weariness aside for hugs galore!
ReplyDeleteOh Terje! Your posts are like a warm breeze or a cozy blanket. You are so brutally honest and heartfelt at the same time. Both your emotions and Mimm's were palpable in this slice. What a physically draining, but emotionally fulfilling game she decided to play with you!
ReplyDeleteI can fully relate to your embracing couch, you bouncing Mimm and the unwillingness (yet willingness) to move! You said it all beautifully here and you even rescued you little girls spirit just in time too! It's a good thing they are so resilient and forgiving. Hopefully you and your couch can play the hugging game tonight! So hard to balance it all.
ReplyDelete