Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Who will choose the movie next time?

I wipe my eyes with the last tissue and blow my nose. Even though it is still dark in the movies I can see Nina wiping her eyes with her scarf. Not knowing what to say exactly we stand and start walking toward the exit.
" When I asked whether we should see Thatcher or this, you said we should choose a lighter movie, " I can't help but comment, shaking my head and feeling a smile forming.
"I really thought that dad taking care of his two daughters would be better than politics and Iron Lady getting old. I thought the movie was good," Nina replies with a nod and returns a smile.
"The movie was very good. I just didn't read about it and from your description I thought that it was going to be a comedy. I didn't have enough tissues," I explain and then continue:"When I chose the movie and we went to see Happy-Go-Lucky you said that I had strange choice."
"What else could we have chosen. We might be getting too old for romantic comedies," Nina gives another reason.
"I understand. You had your 40th birthday," I reply sympathetically.
We step to the street and spring sun greets us.
"The movie was sad and filled with unexpected turns but I am glad we came. Thank you for finding the time, " I mean what I say.
"We'll do it again. Who will choose the movie next time?" Nina says as we hug good-bye.

4 comments:

  1. It's an endless conversation, isn't it? Bonnie just wrote about this too, choosing the 'right' movie that fits both. Although companions like or love or respect each other, they might each look at any movie differently. It's not always easy with my husband & I either. Great to get a little peek into your conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I tend to go to movies by myself. Well, should I say, WENT to movies by myself - with kids and work and life..... and the price of a movie ticket - I now just use Netflix. Got to see this movie though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Choosing a movie is hard, sometimes. The name of this does not lead you to think it will be sad. I'm glad you used dialogue to tell this story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I avoid talking after movies because I need processing time -- one of the first things my husband learned about me when we were dating. But sharing an experience like this is such a beautiful thing. Even if we cry :)

    ReplyDelete