This challenge has been like cooking on busy evenings. I know what is nutritious and delicious, and I'd like to offer gourmet, but instead I opt out for something simple. Somedays I add more spices and herbs or use a cookbook to try a new recipe. Sometimes I cook "look-what-I-found-in-the-cupboard" dinner. I think that today is a day like that for writing.
There are days that are busy and a lot happens, but when you sit down to write the mind is blank. And then there are moments when ideas flood and you have to be fast enough to catch them. Is there a pattern? Can you predict and prepare?
I went to see a play. The character said that if you speak and don't have listeners you become invisible. He also wondered how do you know that you speak with your own words when all ideas and words have been voiced before. I can't get that out of my head.
If a tip of a pencil breaks when you are writing late in the evening, does it mean you have to stop writing and need to go to sleep instead?
I really enjoyed your comparison of writing to cooking dinner, the everyday experience of it.
ReplyDeleteThis is wonderful. My husband says there are no original ideas. That is a deep thought, and somewhat disturbing. If my pencil broke and I was feeling that way, I would definitely stop writing and go to bed. Sweet dreams Terje.
ReplyDeleteSuch a philosophical post, Terje! Your ramblings and wonderings have set my mind to wandering.
ReplyDeleteThe line about becoming invisible is so powerfully sad, isn't it?
Even when you think your offering is just a sandwich, you offer a gourmet sandwich. You give us food for thought and something to chew on after reading.
ReplyDeleteWow! This one really has me thinking! I just love the way you write, Terje. The comparisons in this piece are tremendous. I love the line"if you speak and don't have listeners you become invisible." I worry about this if I continue to write on this blog but outside of this challenge. Who will hear me? And what's the point in that case?
ReplyDelete