Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

3 things that help me to stay sane

Now that I think of the title I realize that the number of things that help me to stay sane is much bigger than three. Now that I think I realize that the whole topic deserves more time and attention than a blog post. Now that I have started I should continue.
So here are three things that contribute to my sanity.

1. A cup of tea
If anyone claims that she/he has met a teacher who had nothing to do in a middle of a school day I suspect that it's a lie. Usually a teacher's to do list so long you can't see the end of it and the teacher could easily fill every second of every planning period and every break. I have learned purposefully to have a cup of tea during the first 20 minute break in our school. I take my cup of tea and join others in the teachers' lounge to have snack, chat and laugh. It is impossible to drink tea in a hurry. I am forced to slow down and relax.

2. An open door
I love to have a conversations with a smart person so I could just stay in my room and talk to myself. ;) Then again that would be a sign that I need some mental help. Fortunately in my school most teachers have their door open so when I need I can step in and rejoice, cheer, moan, seek advice, or bounce off ideas. Usually it happens when there are no students in the classroom but sometimes, just sometimes when a joy or groan is hard to contain I walk through the open door when the students are working independently and the teacher has a moment to spare. My door is equally open to my colleagues.

3. A piece of chocolate
You know how at conferences or workshops you have to come up with a symbol to represent you. Last time I had to do that I drew a bar of chocolate, because I believe that chocolate can save a day. No matter how experienced, well prepared, highly respected, widely valued one is there are moments when someone's comments may sting the heart and crumple the spirit. Or an additional task is added to a plate that was overflowing already, blocking the view to hope of getting anything done. Ever. I know that crying helps but I need a pillow or my husband's shoulder to do it. Neither one is available at school. Chocolate however can always fit in a drawer. Letting a piece of chocolate melt on my tongue spreads the sweetness through my body. Life is sweet. There is always chocolate in my drawer. For anyone who needs it.

Had I been well prepared in advance for writing this post I would have included in my list:
Love, Laughter, and Learning
Hubby and Hobbies
Fantastic Family and Friends
Sunday and Summer
the open door in the Slice of Life community
one more cup of tea,
one more piece of chocolate.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the reasons behind why each of these helps keep you sane! You are lucky to share that "open door" relationship with your colleagues! And I agree with you that crying needs a pillow or a husband's shoulder, but chocolate is a good temporary substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These seemingly simple items are really symbolic of your attributes! They represent three small portions of what makes you so wonderful! I like this format. I may just borrow your list idea for a future post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fun post and a great reminder to enjoy the little things. My students laugh at me, because I have been known to grab a small piece of chocolate from my drawer on particularly stressful days. And open doors of colleagues--the best! Great list. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking that chocolate would be #1 on my list! I, too, have that secret stash of chocolate in a drawer at school. Love the idea of an open door and which there were more open doors to sit, talk, and share a piece of chocolate. I like the idea of tea time -- time to slow down. I don't feel I have enough time in my day to even slow down, but maybe if I had to . . . not such a bad idea!

    Thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all need something to hold onto to keep us sane. You have a great list, dark chocolate is a must for me. Love the alliteration on the secondary list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe some one of us should write a chocolate company about teachers' real needs! Your opening starts like a stand-up comedienne's opening lines-just starts out on a light note, but we all know (or think we know) just where you're going. The three things are spot on. I love 'I am forced to slow down and relax'. Never thought of it that way, but of course, tea must cool. And I like the smart person idea, yet it must cozier to talk with another. Great that you all are welcoming. We love to chat at my school too, thank goodness. Thanks for the funny lines, with deeper meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cup of tea is a brilliant idea. Forcing oneself to slow down is so important. (My husband used to plead with me to slow down and eat lunch at a normal pace when I was teaching. I should've done that. Now that I'm consulting, I always ask schools to schedule me for a half hour for lunch. I don't check email. I sit, talk, and eat. It's wonderful.)
    -Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how you wrote your list then decided you had more to say. It felt like a conversation and showed how the act of writing spurs more writing and more ideas. I'm thinking writing is part of what keeps me sane. :)

    ReplyDelete