Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

To my creative spirit


Dear Creative Spirit,
Where are you? Have you forgotten me? Have you left me? I desperately need you to guide me, to support me, to help me. I am lost without you. Please come back.
Sincerely,
Your writer
Dear Writer,
Why do you think I have left you? Haven’t I been with you every time you go for a walk or drive a car? Haven’t I visited you at night right before you go to the dreamland?
When you requested for a creative spirit it was clear that you needed a snippet-spirit who would help you with the slices of life.  That’s exactly what you were provided, first for a whole month and then for every Tuesday. So why do you address me with such a desperate voice? Did you expect to become J.K Rowling in 3 months?
Sincerely,
Your Creative Spirit
Dear Creative Spirit,
I am sorry. I should have started my previous letter with expressing my gratitude. I appreciate that you have been with me for the past months. It has been an incredible experience to play with ideas, words and texts. I have learned a lot.  It started as a game or as an adventure. I wanted to learn the rules and explore a new territory. But I wonder is that all? Will I be a snippet writer forever or is there more in me?
I know I haven’t written daily but I have written for 15 minutes on some days. There does not seem to be much sense in what I have written. May be that’s why I felt down.
Thank you in advance for any advice you will give me.
Sincerely,
Your Writer
Dear Writer,
I read your journal. Forgive me for the following bluntness. Your ridiculous random ramblings reeked with self-pity. You kept asking why to write, who cares, why continue. Only you can answer these questions. There is no rule that you must write. Writing is optional. And only youcan figure out what is it you want to say to your readers. 
You compared your writing to a game. You are not playing the real game yet. You are playing the writing WII. Learning writing takes time. Writing takes time.
May be you are unclear about the role of a Creative Spirit. We don’t give gifts. We don’t have the ideas and stories stored in boxes and tied with silk ribbon to be handed out when wished for. The writer has to do the work. Writers need to live the life of a writer. Trust me. I will be there to make sure you catch your ideas on time.  Most of all - trust yourself.
Warm wishes,
Your Creative Spirit

10 comments:

  1. Dear Writer,
    Creative Spirit is right!
    Your friend,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a wise Creative Spirit living within you. Very creative post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to capture that creative thinking. I suspect your creative spirit is always lurking for ways to grab you; you just keep shouting back! I like the term 'creative WII'. Perhaps that's what technology does to us?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful dialogue. I like the question "Did you expect to become J.K Rowling in 3 months?" So true. We expect to develop as writers so quickly. Writing is like golf... you're always working at it and trying to make it better.
    SAS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the creative spirit!! I would do better if I tied a notebook with pen around my neck and wrote notes/ideas down as I went through my day. But I have to trust myself to write instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Terje! This is the creative spirit spilling and overflowing! What a beautiful slice and I love the back and forth letters. Isn't it funny that we know the truth, but we don't always believe it? Trust yourself. Just beautiful. Thank YOU for this gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post. I found myself agreeing with the creative spirit but relating to the writer. I agree with Michelle, we know the truth but don't always listen to it. Let those creative juices flow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish my creative spirit would speak to me so candidly! :) Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, have called out for my creative spirit, feeling that it has left me when it is really me who has walked away from IT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the last part about your creative spirit reading your rambling journal entries. I think your creative spirit must me reading my journal too! Your post made me feel better as a writer. I know I am not alone in my struggle. :)

    ReplyDelete