Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

safety net for nights

Inspired and encouraged by Ruth's prompt

Every single evening after bed time story Mimm (6) holds a dialogue with me to weave words as a safety net for her before she goes to sleep. The lights, this ritual, and the same words every time are the magic guards that allow her to stay in her room at night and fall asleep.

"Mom, are you sure that our home won't catch fire?"
"Yes, I am sure."
"I am afraid."
"I know. I will protect you."
"What do I do when bad thoughts arrive?"
"Send the bad thoughts flying away and invite good thoughts to you."
"Yes. Bad thoughts fly away to another planet, to a forest, or down a toilet. Mom, are you sure that there are no monsters, ghosts or bad spirits?"
"Yes, I am sure."
"Are you as sure as you can be and a little bit more?"
"Yes."
"Mom, I love you!"
"I love you too!"
"I love you from all my heart!"
"I love you from my toes."
"Mom. You are kidding."
"I love you from all my heart!"
"How big is your heart?"
"This big," I make a big circle with my hands.
"Kiss-kiss. Hug-hug. Good night!'
"Good night," I give her a kiss.


When the fears still sneak in and wake her up in the middle of night I sometimes climb to her bed to make sure she feels safe. 

9 comments:

  1. Lovely! I'm glad you captured this sweet moment.
    Happy writing, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of conversations with my own kids and now my grandkids. You can never make kids feel safe enough. Our line was "I love you more than chocolate chip cookies."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the phrase "weave words as a safety net"! So much love in the nightly conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to hear what you do for your daughter. I'm glad she has you to help her & I imagine she'll remember this later in life. On another note, your writing sounds like a beautiful picture book for others to read to their children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the fears of our little ones. We go through a similar routine at our home. I too, love the phrase weaving words into a safety net....so true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite parts of my day are the pre-bedtime conversations held in my 4-year-old's bed. I love your weaving words as a safety net. As a parent and teacher, that happens more than we realize.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought your opening paragraph was really strong. Thank you for sharing this lovely ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, love the image of the safety net and of two weavers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The opening and the closing are perfect bookends for a perfect story. I love how you captured your 6-year-old's personality in the dialogue.

    ReplyDelete