"You can keep the box," the middle school science teacher said cheerfully after her lesson. The fourth graders had been excited by her presentation about the solar power. I was terrified looking at the box. She had used just one motor, one wire, one solar panel, and a little wheel for her demonstration. The box was filled with numerous plastic bags with different sized rods, wheels, cogwheels, connectors and other pieces I couldn't name. Of course the whole set came with a manual. I have to admit that I am seriously challenged when it comes to technical instructions.
"Thank you so much for coming!" I had no problem being sincere about this, because it had been a wonderful lesson.
"I will figure out the best solution for using this kit in the class," I added, knowing that I actually had no clue what to do with this gift.
I had several options:
1. Admit my stupidity and ask for help.
2. Study the manual and learn.
3. Let the children figure out what to do.
I chose option 3. When the students had independent study time I gave them the box. By the end of the day we had various combinations of rods, wheels, and pegs. They did not resemble any specific object.
The next day during independent study the students continued. I would lie that it went completely without arguments or that they assembled everything correctly right away. This however doesn't matter, because finally they shouted: "We did it! May we test it?"
The sun was shining. Out we went. L.(9) carried the delicate frame of a car slowly and carefully. She gently placed it on a basketball court.
A mighty cheer filled the schoolyard when the little car moved, powered by the sun.
What a great learning experience. Those are the science lessons I loved the best as a child. I'm sure that you made their day by allowing them to experiment and build.
ReplyDeleteYou chose the best option, let the kids explore and discover. The most powerful learning happens when there is interest. Solar power is definately interesting to fourth graders.
ReplyDeleteOh, yeah, totally the right option! They don't need us for that. We would just take all the fun out of it anyway. Look what was accomplished! That is just too cool.
ReplyDeleteThis is so cool! I loved hearing the "whoo hoo" in the clip. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wise teacher you are. Of course they did it, & I bet they'll take the challenge again. Great to see the clip, too!
ReplyDeleteGood for you for going with option 3! :)
ReplyDelete-Stacey